Monday, May 23, 2011

Summer In The City Of New York

Ahhh, Summer. Not quite. Although, there a few days muggy enough to resemble summer. This trip to the Big Apple was mostly filled with rain. In fact, I broke two umbrellas trying to stay dry! However, the rainy days did not spoil the fun. I went out in spite of it. And thanks to my KEEN shoes, my feet stayed nice and dry! They are probably the most comfy shoes ever. Great for city streets.

I have been to NYC before, twice in fact. So this trip was more about spending time with family, rather than seeing all the sights. My wonderful cousin, Heidi lives in Manhattan with her family. We are pretty close and don't get to see each other enough. Having the same wacky sense of humor, we seem to laugh about anything. It's the small things :) Plus, we both have May birthdays. Lots of celebration.

May babies.
 One of my favorite NYC spots was Bryant Park. Greenery in the midst of the "concrete jungle."

Of course no vacation is complete without food! Oh, glorious lobster mac n' cheese! Lattes! Garlic Tofu stir-fry!


Pizza and Beer too :) Pizza at Ray's and brews at The Heartland Brewery.



 One of the coolest things I saw? A bike covered in Metro Cards!! Funky! Below that is Times Square and the Library where Ghostbusters was filmed.

One last observation. It seems you always hear about how rude and unpleasant New Yorkers can be. That didn't seem to be the case, at least in my opinion. The neighborhood crew was super friendly and talkative. Always holding doors and elevators for others. And TWICE on the subway I witnessed random acts of kindness. Once when Heidi dropped a twenty-dollar bill, and a stranger returned it to her. Twice when my earring fell off, unbeknownst to me, and a stranger returned it to me. Thank you stranger, because I love those earrings!




No comments:

Post a Comment