Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Dyed My Hair With Henna

When I was in Pdx, I had my sister help me dye my hair with henna. I have been trying to get away from chemicals and artificial things altogether. So my next step was to change the way I dye my hair. And what's more natural than  henna?! We went to a local beauty supple store and picked up a box of henna hair dye and some gloves. That's all you need. No developer, toner or harsh chemicals.
The henna powder mixed with water. 
The directions were simple. Mix the henna powder with water until you get a thick consistency, slightly like mud. Cover your entire head and leave on for one hour. Henna will only make your hair darker. So I choose a color that was only a shade lighter than what I already had.
Henna head.

The back.
 The henna felt like dirt or mud on my head. It was very earthy and sandy. However, there was no bad smell, no sting or burn either. I let it sit for 1.5 hours. After that, I rinsed it out in the bathtub. Big mistake! It clumps like mud and almost clogged the drain. I would suggest going outside and getting the big clumps out before you use the a sink or tub.
The results.
And the results! Shiny, soft, henna-dyed hair with a touch of red. It wasn't a dramatic change, but gave me the color boost I needed. Also, it didn't cover my roots as well as I wanted. I think next time I will try putting some henna on the roots for an hour and then pulling the rest through for another hour. Overall, I was happy with how it turned out. Yay for henna! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment